Saturday, May 19, 2007

Stinky Wool Update

Well, I've done a little wool washing this week and here's what that looks like:
This is the beginning of the first wash
This is the nasty water from the first wash....no wonder that stuff is stinky, yuk
This is the final rinse.....looks and smells much better!
for each small basket of fleece, I'm putting it through a wash/rinse/2nd wash/rinse/rinse. A bit time consuming but it's working. I don't want this stuff in my washer so the sink it is!
Now, I wanted to show a picture of the clean, dry wool but....my camera batteries died before I could put them on the computer...so I'll have to show that next time.
I'm afraid I may not be able to do much with this fleece, the Dorsett is mainly raised for meat, so probably not the most spinner/knitter friendly fleece. It's fairly short....and I think the shearers were pretty inexperienced too so, I'm not sure it will be "spinable". I thought I'd give it a try, picked through looking for the longest fiber I could find and have washed some of it. It's good practice, I'm not afraid to wash fleece now! :)
Also, I wanted to put a pic up of the yarn I have been spinning on the new wheel, it's spun, plyed, washed and is hang drying as I type this. It will have to be in the next post as well.
On the secret pal front....I got a short note from her today saying she mailed a package to me yesterday....weeeee....so I'll anxiously be awaiting it's arrival!

No comments: