Wednesday, June 27, 2007

in a spin

That's me....I've been spinning! And before I start....let me just say congratulations to my sp10 pal Cetta who just bought her first drop spindle and roving!!!! Welcome to the club Cetta!!! (Or should I say welcome to the guild.)

What have I been spinning....well, there's this:

This roving I bought at Stitches West from the Alpaca Direct booth. It's merino and spins up nice and soft. I think the colorway was forest or something like that.

And this:



I can't talk much about yet... but it's from my LYS, Kraemer yarns, "60% New Zealand Wool/40% Domestic Wool". And the colorway is Spice....it's yummy! a little wooly compared to the merino ....but ...that's because it's not merino right?



And last week, I went to the Paradise Spinning Guild meeting where I received this:

I'm told by Heatherly that it's silk noil? Anyhow...whatever it is it's pretty cool and though I haven't begun to spin it yet...it looked really neat when Heather was spinning it at the guild! So I'll be playing with it soon.



And this...remember this?
This was shorn from a Dorsett cross...I received it wet and dirty and stinky....I washed some up (see previous posts from spring for those images if you dare) and it turned into this:
which doesn't look cleaner but it is...trust me.

And that turned into this (with the help of Heather's hand carders! thanks Heather!)These are called rolags and they are basically roving but they end up in this shape when you card by hand!

And this is what you get when you spin those rolags! weee...
so far so good!

3 comments:

Heather said...

good job! you are such a quick learner! :-)
i can't wait to see what you will be teachinmg us :-)

oh- i got the spin-off mag socks book- spin the yarn AND knit the sock. intriguing!

pseudobunny said...

Wow!
That looks like so much fun...I had better warn Clinton about that habit before I start...Maybe if we move to Petaluma and I can have a few sheeps and lllamas of my own....Really beautiful!
We are good. I have video of Osky playing the harmonica but youtube and googlevideo wont upload it. Bummer. I keep trying though.
Maybe the third week of July we will get up north or something...I dunno...Clinton has something planning but he isnt sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hi SheepLady - nice job on cleaning the woolies. Ruth would be so proud of you!! (The Dizzy Ewe, ruth). and I am proud of you too.